Saturday, May 1, 2010

Mark Lanegan

Roisin Dubh
30/4/10

PAUL O' REILLY opened up this gig. I've only seen bits of him live on youtube and I enjoyed what I heard, and live I found his set a little too intimate for the size of the room.
a lot of people were talking over him, even those at the front who had gathered during set up, which really bugged me as I found it really hard to make out Paul's set, which was great nonetheless.

MARK LANEGAN came on stage at half nine(ish), at this time, it was basically find your spot and guard it, because the place was absolutely jammed.
Opener "When your number isn't up" from "Bubblegum" started it all nicely, "One way street" and "No easy answer" were great to hear, and "Don't forget me" was fantastic.
Sadly I was stood next to a bunch of loud drunks, badly singing through the songs they knew and talking loudly over everything.
Talk during a full band if you have to, but one fella and a guitarist? For fucks sake.
"One hundred days" one of my most favourite Lanegan tunes, was ruined by the yappy lady and her singing friends, but luckily they had closed their traps by the time he went through "Traveller" from the last/final Screaming Trees album. I was pretty sure he wouldn't touch any Screaming Trees material, so it was a nice, moving surprise.

He closed with the Desert sessions/QOTSA'S "Hanging tree" which got the biggest applause from the crowd, and a singalong, all in all a mindblowing show, Mark Lanegan has to be one of my all time favourite artists, I reckon he doesn't get the credit he deserves, plus I found writing a review of this would be pointless seeing as I can't seem to falt him live or otherwise.
I couldn't afford Dublin the night before, if I could, I would of gone, so it was great to get the second oppurtunity to see him ten minutes from my house, this was a blinding show, and has provided me with a number of drunken memories...

Griff

No comments:

Post a Comment